External links were selected and reviewed when this page was last published or edited. However, Genetic Testing Laboratories are not responsible for the content of external websites. This is because:

  • Genetic Testing Laboratories do not produce them or maintain/update them.
  • Genetic Testing Laboratories cannot change them.
  • They can be changed without Genetic Testing Laboratories’ knowledge or agreement.

Some of our external links may be to websites which also offer commercial services, such as online purchases.

The inclusion of a link to an external website from the GTL website should not be understood to be an endorsement of that website or the site’s owners (or their products/services).

American Association for Laboratory Accreditation


The American Association for Laboratory Accreditation (A2LA) is a nonprofit, non–governmental, public service, membership society providing comprehensive services in laboratory accreditation and laboratory–related training.

AABB (formerly American Association of Blood Banks)


AABB is an international association representing individuals and institutions involved in activities related to transfusion and cellular therapies, including transplantation medicine.

Border and Immigration Agency


The Border and Immigration Agency is a new executive agency of the Home Office. The Agency assumes the responsibilities of the Immigration and Nationality Directorate (IND) for managing immigration control in the UK. They also consider applications for permission to stay, citizenship and asylum. Their website will help you understand the UK immigration system and what your rights and responsibilities are when you make an application.

Child Support Agency


The key government site on all of the issues associated with child support. The Child Support Agency (CSA) is part of the Child Maintenance and Enforcement Commission. Their role is to make sure that parents who live apart from their children contribute financially to their upkeep by paying child maintenance.

Citizens Advice Bureau


Provides free, independent advice on many matters including paternity testing. The Citizens Advice service helps people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice.

Department of Constitutional Affairs


The Department for Constitutional Affairs has responsibility for relationship support, as well as promoting safe contact between children and non–resident parents. It also sponsors the work of the Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service (CAFCASS), and the Office of the Official Solicitor and Public Trustee.

Fathers for Justice


Fathers 4 Justice is a civil rights movement campaigning for a child’s right to see both parents and grandparents.

General Register Office


Births in England and Wales must be registered within 42 days of the birth. This can often be done at the hospital or if not at the local register office. If the parents are married to each other, either parent can register the birth. If the parents are not married to each other, they should read Who Should Register? within the Registering A Birth section and follow the Parental Responsibility link for information on the implications of who goes to the register office.

If you wish to obtain a further copy of the birth certificate, this can be bought online, by post or telephone, or through the register office where the birth was registered.

Their website has detailed information on all these topics as well as what happens in cases where fertility treatment or surrogacy is involved, what you should do if the child is born abroad and what you need to do if you wish to change.

The GRO has a responsibility for England and Wales. There are equivalent offices for Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Legal Services Commission


The Legal Services Commission runs the legal aid scheme in England and Wales, working in partnership with solicitors and not–for–profit organisations to get people the information, advice and legal help they need to deal with a wide range of problems.

NHS Direct


NHS Direct is a telephone health line there for you whenever you have health worries and they have the knowledge and experience to give you real help and reassurance. They also offer commissioned services to other parts of the NHS to help them meet their patients’ needs.

Northern Ireland Child Support Agency


Child support agency operating in Northern Ireland.



The Samaritans is a registered charity based in the UK and Republic of Ireland, that provides confidential emotional support to any person who is suicidal or despairing; and that increases public awareness of issues around suicide and depression.